Most parents forget to consider the number of pedals when buying a tricycle. Yes! It may sound funny to some, but it is important to look at the pedal system to ensure better skill development for your baby. The first question is, “How many pedals does a tricycle have?”
A tricycle typically has two pedals for each foot or a set of pedals. The rider pushes them to move the tricycle forward. However, some of the trickles might not have any pedals at all to fulfill another function.
I’m sure that most of you will find this answer surprising. Keep scrolling till the end to find out all the facts about the number of pedals a tricycle has. In the end, you will be able to decide which one you should buy for your children.
Basic Tricycle Anatomy
As the name suggests, a tricycle is a three-wheeled vehicle. Although there are different types of adult tricycles available, here I will focus mainly on the tricycles for children.
Typically a tricycle consists of the following parts:
- Frame: It is the main structure of the tricycle that connects all the parts together to build the tricycle.
- Wheels: A tricycle has three wheels that help kids have better balance and prevent falling.
- Handlebars: A handlebar is a steering mechanism that allows the rider to control the direction of the tricycle.
- Seat: Most tricycles have a single seat for the rider to sit in, but a few tricycles may also have a double seat for a passenger.
- Pedals: The part the rider uses to drive the tricycle.
How Many Pedals Does A Tricycle Have?
Depending on the type of tricycle, it may have the following number of pedals:
1. Zero pedal tricycle
Three-wheeler balance bikes usually come with no pedals. These are intended for babies to learn balance on a tricycle. That is why they do not include any pedals. Instead, babies sit on them and move them while walking.
Besides, some of the push tricycles may also not have any pedals. Instead, these tricycles have large handlebars that parents control. While some models have pedals, others usually do not as a safety measure. It prevents the child from pedaling and causing accidents.
Not to mention, electric tricycles may also have zero pedals. Instead, they will have switches to control the movement and may have brake pads. Although the brake pedal is also called a pedal, it is not for moving the tricycle. That is why I am calling them zero-pedal tricycles.
2. Two/Dual Pedal Tricycles
Most tricycles available for children have two pedals, one for each foot. The rider needs to push the pedals simultaneously to move the tricycle forward. Whether it is a classic tricycle, stroller tricycle, or even push tricycle, it will have two pedals.
Two-pedal tricycles are the most efficient. The rider can reach the top speed quickly. They also offer cardiovascular benefits to the children.
What are Tricycle Pedals Made of?
Depending on the type and purpose of the tricycle, the pedals can be made of the following materials:
- Plastic: Plastic is the most common material used in tricycles for children. Although it may seem that they are not very durable, in reality, they last quite well. That’s because they are made of sturdy plastic and do not usually go through much pressure.
- Metal: Metal pedals are most common in adult tricycles, but some baby tricycles also have them for better durability. Metal pedals can be made of materials such as aluminum, steel, or magnesium.
- Rubber: Pedals solely made of rubber are rare. Instead, manufacturers make metal or plastic pedals, then cover them with a layer of rubber. It provides a better grip and reduces slippage.
- Composite materials: Some high-end tricycles may also have pedals made of composite materials such as carbon fiber. They are lightweight, strong, and highly durable.
How to Choose the Right Pedal System?
Choosing the right pedal system for your bay is quite simple. If the baby is younger than 18 months, then it is better to get them zero-pedal tricycles. That is because they have yet to develop the strength required for pushing the pedals.
But if your baby is older than 18 months, then I recommend using a two-pedal tricycle. By this age, they start to develop the strength to push the tricycles.
Where to Tricycle Pedal Replacement?
If the pedal of your tricycle is broken, you can get the original pedal replacement from the same store where you bought the tricycle. However, you can also try aftermarket pedals from Amazon, Walmart, eBay, or the nearest garage, where you can find better quality pedals.
Are Tricycles Always Pedal-Powered?
No. Some of the tricycles are pedal-powered, while others are motor powered. Electric tricycles run on motors and usually do not have any pedals. Some of them may have this feature to ride the tricycle when it is out of battery.
What is a Pedal Lock on a Tricycle?
It locks the pedal of the tricycle to prevent thieves from stealing it. Some tricycles may have this feature by default to prevent babies from accidentally moving.
Do All Tricycles Have the Same Size Pedals?
No. Different tricycles have different sizes of pedals. It usually depends on the size of the tricycle. Larger tricycles have larger pedals and vice versa.
Besides zero and dual-pedal systems, you may also find tricycles with single or multiple-pedal systems. However, they are rarely found in baby tricycles and are also not very effective. Depending on age, getting a zero or two-pedal tricycle for your children is best.