How to Charge 12v Power Wheels Battery Without Charger – 5 Methods
Is it possible to charge a power wheels battery even you don't have a charger? Charging power wheels batteries while on the drive (without charger) gives convenience. Besides, it removes the stress of not being able to ride your power car when you need it most. So, today we're gonna talk about how to charge 12v power wheels battery without charger and some additional information about that.
Things to Check Before Charging Power Wheels Battery:
When it comes to charging a power wheels battery, you should make sure that you have the right batteries. Because, selecting the wrong one will waste your time and money.
So it is recommended to buy the batteries from a well-known brand to avoid any issues during the charging session.
You can buy batteries from fisher price, Peg Perego, modern kids, etc. which ensure optimal performance and longevity.
A battery from a famous brand will bring comfort, joy, and safety. However, without taking proper care and maintenance, your batteries will lose its power and efficiency.
In this regard, one of the significant things of battery upgrade and maintenance is you know the things what you should do with your power wheels battery. So, considering the facts, let’s talk about the things that you need to know.
1. Identify the Type of Battery
Firstly, it is significant to identify the type of battery you have to charge the ride-on toy battery properly. Generally, you can find this information on the battery.
Also, you can check the website of the manufacturer if you couldn't understand the label. Besides you should discover the voltage of the battery by seeing the label of the battery or by checking the manual of your car.
Modern SLI batteries (lead-acid type) help you to improve the charge and the life of your battery.
2. Disconnect & Remove the Battery from Your Car:
It is essential to disconnect the battery before charging power wheels battery without charger. Most often, you can charge the battery without removing it from the vehicle.
However, you should remove the battery from your ride-on toy car (completely when you charge), if fitting the charging wires or reaching the battery proves difficult.
- Check the manufacturer's manual for your car if you feel confused about where the battery is situated. You will find the battery in the trunk or under the hood in the power wheel ride-on toy cars.
- When it comes to removing the battery, disconnect the negative terminal before the positive one.
3. Clean the Battery Terminals:
Another significant point you need to consider is to clean the battery terminals of your vehicle. The dirty battery terminals can stop the charging wires from making a smooth connection to the battery, so you should wash thoroughly clean the terminals.
You can remove and wipe away the grime or dirt from the battery terminals by using a baking soda solution and a wet cloth. Ensure the terminals are uncovered metal before going to the next step to make sure of a substantial charge.
- Often, you may get the battery has a considerable charge, despite that dirty edge been stopping the electricity from running.
- Never touch the battery edges with your open hand, mainly if there is any powder (white) on them. Usually the powder is dried sulfuric battery acid that can burn your skin if you touch it without wearing any gloves.
4. Check The Battery:
You need to ensure that your battery is charging after allowing it to charge. Also you may use a voltmeter to estimate the voltage of the battery once disconnected from the charging source.
The best way to test the battery is to hook it up again and try to start the vehicle (if the battery is still in the car). If the voltmeter shows that the battery is weak or the car would not start, you may have issues to solve, or you need to change the battery.
5. Check the Battery by an Automotive Expert:
If you charge the power wheel battery by using another car, but your car isn't started, remove the battery and take it to the automotive expert.
There, they can test the battery to see it works or not. If the battery doesn't work or hold the charge, then they will replace it.
6. Check the Alternator:
You should check the alternator by starting the automotive and then disconnect the positive terminal of the battery.
A defective alternator can stop your car from charging the battery enough make your car running. Also, it ceases to produce enough electricity. So change the faulty alternator to keep the car running.
How to Charge 12v Power Wheels Battery Without charger Step by Step Guide
Getting you does not have the charger to charge ride on car battery can be troubling, but it is not a black magic.
When it comes to technology and trends, this is an easy solution to charge your battery even you don't have the charger.
Fast thinking, basic knowledge, and roadside maintenance kit will help you to charge the battery even you don't have a charger.
Let's take a look at the step by step procedures on how to charge power wheels battery even you do not have any charger.
6 Easy Ways to Charge a Power Wheel Battery:
1. Keep the Car Repair Tool:
Firstly, you should keep the car repair equipment in the toolbox. These tools play a significant role during emergencies. The devices are including:
- A blanket
- Extra fuses, and much more.
2. Take the Jumper Wires Out of the Toolbox
- You will find double metal clamps on each end of the jumper wires. They are colored in red and black plastic.
- This red and black color indicates positive and negative terminals of the charging and charged vehicle.
3. Keep Your Mobile Phone Charged During an Emergency
- You should ensure that you have your mobile phone charged for urgent calling. Having a cell phone helps you to inform your friends or family to meet you.
- Besides, you may contact a nearby auto service center to deal with someone to assist you to jump the vehicle.
4. Turn Off Your Car
- Make sure your car would not move and remain in a safe position.
- Set the parking brake when you are on the hill and lift the bonnet of your power wheel ride on toy car.
5. Fix the Negative Jumper Wires on the Battery Sides
- Now set the black screws on the metal frame of your ride-on toy.
- Fix the joint as it is protected and would not move effortlessly.
- Put the black screws on the black terminal if you do not have a secure connection.
- On the other hand, set the other end of the black screw on the negative side of the battery.
6. Set Another Set of Jumper Wires on the Red Terminals of Each Ride on the Toy
- Set the red screws on the positive edge of your vehicle.
- Also, set the red screws on the positive edge of the battery.
- The charging auto operator needs to start the car first and allow it to run for a few minutes.
- Use the car battery to get a charge for a while.
- Start the car immediately, and it does not wait some time and start it again.
- Allow the car to run when it is started and get a charge before turning off the power wheel ride-on toy.
- Now disconnect the battery wires.
What are the Easy 5 Methods to Charge Power Wheel Battery Without Charger?
No worries if you don’t have a charger to charge your kid’s favorite power wheel ride-on toy car. Here, we will share with you the top 5 methods to do the job flawlessly.
Method 1. Charge 12v Battery with Car Battery- Easy 6 Steps to Follow
You can charge your power wheel battery with a car battery by setting up the connector. However, you should consider some things before charging the battery (such as check the voltage, point out the +, - connections). Let's see the step by step process to charge the battery with a car battery.
1. Getting Started
Firstly, you should have the necessary tools to get the battery back on the track. Then, ensure that you have a tool kit in your car with wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers, etc.
Also, you should wear hand gloves, goggles, and protective clothing. Another significant thing you need is the auto battery charger.
2. Check the Voltage
Ensure you have 12 V batteries, which are made to charge with a maximum of 15 volts. (The car battery within this range is releasing 15A charge)
3. Clean the Positive and Negative Terminals
You should clean the connections (positive and negative) coming from the car battery. It is advisable to use a wire brush to clean the white power, crystals, and corrosions from the wires and terminals.
4. Charge the Battery
Now charge the battery with the car battery charger (after cleaning the connections). Ensure you have the 2A trickle charger for the connection if the regular charger makes it hot.
(The signs and the color-coding (on the car battery ends) will help you to identify the positive and negative terminals. In most cars, the red terminal shows the positive (+) and black terminal indicates the negative (-) signs on the car battery.)
5 . Recheck the Connection:
Check again to make sure the terminals are connected correctly. Now, turn on the 2A trickle battery charger. Keep on your eye to understand how long you need to keep the battery to the car cell.
6. Disconnect the Car Battery and Start the Car
Disconnect the car battery when the charging is complete. Now start the car to see how it works.
(You should try to repeat the procedure and test if it works. If you still find a problem, then take the battery to a mechanic, and most often, it is time to have a new battery for your power wheels.)
Method 2. How to Charge 12v Battery With Laptop Charger Easy 4 Steps to Follow
A laptop charger is made for specific use and has circuits to save them from damage. You can charge the power wheel battery with your laptop charger. Before going through the entire procedure, let see what you need first.
What do You Need?
- A resistor
- A voltmeter
1. Put A Resistor in the Series to Restrict the Current:
When it comes to charging the car battery, you need a series diode in the circuit to block back feed and a series register. The resistor would give you two functions:
- It would restrict the current supplied to the battery to a worth less than the current of the charger
- It would allow the charger to balance the voltage output
If the resistor couldn't maintain the voltage, then it would shut down itself. The resistor, which will get hot, requires to wire cut. A changeable resistor (rheostat) could be ideal for this type of use. Put the rheostat for the highest current of less than the charger power.
2. Take the Measurement:
Now, you need to take the measurement. You may need to wait for a long time (a full day) to see what is occurring.
3. Measure the Current and Voltage:
You need to measure the current by using an ammeter. After that, ensure you measure the voltage via a voltmeter across the battery terminals.
[Use the voltmeter to check the charger output voltage (before the resistor & diode)]
4. Stop Charging:
Gradually your battery will be charged throughout this process by the help of laptop charger. Stop charging when the battery is fully charged, or battery voltage would be raised over 14 V.
(Your battery would be destroyed if you do not stop charging. It would be good to set up a timer when you need the set up on a daily basis.)
Method 3: How to Charge a 12v Battery with Power Supply - Easy 4 Steps to Follow
It has been quite an easy task to charge 12v battery since the invention of the power supply. Let's see how you can charge a 12v battery with a power supply.
What do You Need?
- Lead-based batteries
- Battery holder
- 2 Alligator Clips
1. Connect the Battery Holder to the Power Supply:
Connect the battery holder to the power supply. The 2 Alligator clips will help you to adjust the battery holder that comes with positive and negative terminals. The battery holder and leads are a must to make a solid linkage with the battery cell.
2. Set the Voltage and Current:
Now, you need to set the charge voltage. Then set the necessary voltage and current limit.
For instance, if you want to charge a 12v power wheels battery, then you need to fix the power supply at 12V, 2A to charge.
But you may need 13.8V, 2A to fully charge the battery. Similarly, you should set the power output at 6V, 2A to charge the 6-volt battery.
3. Check the Temperature, Voltage, Current:
When you charge the battery, don't forget to check the temperature. After checking the temperature you need to check the voltage and current as well.
4. Charge in a Well-Ventilated Room and Disconnect the Power Supply:
Try to charge in a well-ventilated place, and the temperature in the room must be moderate. Once the charge is complete, disconnect the power supply.
Method 4: How to Charge Power Wheel Battery with Home Inverter - Easy 3 Steps to Follow
The home inverter plays a significant role when it comes to charging the power wheel battery. It needs less time to charge the battery.
Charging Ride On Toy Car Battery With a Home Inverter:
You should not use this technique frequently. Let's see how you can charge the battery through a home inverter.
What do You Need?
- Power socket
1. Set Up the Connections:
Firstly, set up the links before connecting the power supply with the inverter. Join the negative (-) wire of the battery to the black cable of the outer part of the inverter. Now connect the positive (+) wire of the battery to the positive port of the inverter.
2. Activate the Power Supply:
Activate the electric outlet of your house. Then connect the home inverter to the power socket as it can use the direct power. Now, check the system (power supply and wire connection) once again to activate the power supply. Finally, plug the inverter to the power socket.
(Be careful about the connection; because a wrong connection may damage the battery.)
3. Charge the Battery:
Now, wait up to 1.5 hours as the inverter can thoroughly charge the battery. (Sometimes the inverter may need 3 hours to charge the battery). Disconnect the inverter from the power outlets.
Method 5: Charge Power Wheels 12v Battery With Solar Panel - Easy 7 Steps to Follow:
When it comes to charging AC Device, the solar panel converts DC Electricity. Let's take a look at the natural and simple way to charge a power wheel battery with Solar panels.
What do You Need?
- Charge controller
- MC4 connectors
1. Install a Charge Controller:
Set up the charge controller to a non-conductive material such as wood or PVC panel. Then runs the panel to the charge controller.
2. Fix the Negative and Positive Cable:
Connect the negative & positive terminal to the battery.
3. Slide the Ends of the Positive and Negative Terminals:
Slide the ends of the positive and negative terminals to the inside outlet of the charge controller. After that, use the screwdriver to fasten the screws that fix the cables in position.
4. Use MC4 Connectors to Join the Cables:
On the solar panel, the outer wires are joined with MC4 connectors. Then, connect the negative & positive wires to the charge connector as like as you join the outer wires. Also, glide them into the inside outlet & fasten the screws with a screwdriver.
5. Join the Wires From the Controller to the Solar Panel:
In this step, join the wires from the controller to the solar panel. After joining, set up the positive and negative connectors with the opposite ends from the solar panel and split the MC4 connection into place.
6. Check the Output on the Connector:
Now, test the output on the connector to ensure it is working. (You will find a digital screen where you can check the flow of the battery.)
7. Leave the Battery on the Connector:
The charging time of the battery depends on the size of the battery, weather, and wattage of the solar panel. That is where the digital screen comes in available. The battery is close to being fully charged when you see the output is dropping.
Two Worthy Solutions to Charge Your Power Wheel Long Time
Along with the above mentioned urgent solution, we have two more worthy and long term recommendations for your kids ride on toy cars.
A) Invest on the Best Battery for Power Wheels:
If you want to give your child a long term fun and chill, then trying on the best battery for power wheels could be a great solution especially to keep your kid’s dream toy alive for a long time. You can check out our long lasting and high performing batteries here.
C) Try on the Best Charger for Power Wheels Battery
If the above methods seem complex to you, you can try a good quality charger. You can check our list of high-performing power wheels batteries if you need one.
The following power wheels charger works great for a wide range of power wheel models.
1. SafeAMP Power Wheels 6v Charger
This is an excellent 6 volt battery charger for power wheels by fisher price. Fisher price 6v charger is compatible with Thomas & Friends Thomas with Track, Disney Cars 2 and a few more models. If you need a power wheels quad charger, this can be a perfect choice.
- The construction of this charger is quite sturdy, which makes it highly durable.
- The overall quality is excellent, and you will get high-quality charging output.
- It can charge batteries pretty quickly and save you time.
- The charger has no indicator light to know if the battery is charging or not.
2. SafeAMP 12v Battery Charger for Power Wheels
This one is compatible with all gray batteries and orange top batteries from Fisher-Price. The safeamp 12v battery has a charging output of 1.0 Amp per hour. Overall, it can be a great fisher price 12v charge replacement charger.
- You can fit the charger perfectly without any trouble with your Fisher-Price power wheels.
- It works well on batteries and is safe to use.
- The price of the charger is affordable.
- There is no LED light to show the charging status.
3. Schumacher Universal 24 volt Battery Charger for Ride-On Toys
If you need a 24-volt battery charger, then schumacher charge n ride on toys charger can be a great choice. It is compatible with almost every power wheel. You will get a charging output of 1.5Amp from this one. With a reverse-hook-up system it prevents your battery from being damaged.
- It has a LED indicator light that shows charging status at different levels.
- The charger is compatible with a wide range of 12-volt battery models.
- The 1.5Amp is charging output and charges batteries pretty fast.
- The connector is a little wider, making it not fit a few power wheels.
One of the most significant points of your kid's Power Wheels toy car is the battery, and it's charging facts. There you have the tips and tricks about how to charge power wheels battery without charger from unlikely sources.
Although you do not have the charger, we hope by following the tips and tricks mentioned above, you can charge your battery without any hassle. Hope, your child will enjoy a smart drive with a modern power wheel ride on toy car.
Thanks for staying with us. If you have any suggestions, please share with us by leaving a comment below. Visit our site for more details & some excellent tricks on the Power Wheels 12volt Battery.